Subject: Re: Better icon for qgit

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:18:00 -0500

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 10:35 +0100, Bernhard Walle wrote:
> * Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]> [2007-02-27 07:57]:
> > On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 07:47 +0100, Marco Costalba wrote:
> > >   it's ok for me to use your icon, I don't know if a 16x16 it's
> > > enough, there is the window title but also application tool bar and
> > > ALT+TAB application chooser where icons are bigger.
> > > 
> > > In particular your icon does not show well in ALT+TAB app chooser,
> > > while the Bernhard's one does.
> > 
> > OK, I made another icon of the size 48x48 and ensured that it scales
> > well to sizes 32x32, 24x24 and 16x16.  I used borders and gradients so
> > that the colors of the title bars don't hide one of the stripes.  I
> > replaced black with cyan-blue, since black draws too much attention from
> > other bars, and gray would look thicker with gray borders.
> 
> I like the first icon. :)

Thanks.  So I'm ditching the "text" edition.  Here's the next iteration:

* The gradients are improved to be noticeable along the lines, not just
in the squares.
* Saturation is reduced to make the icon easier on the eye.
* The actual qgit colors are used (black, red, green).  Blue is avoided
as it may be hard to distinguish on the title bar.
* The top and left borders are made white to improve 3D effect and
counteract apparent widening of the black line on white background.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin