Subject: Re: .gitlink for Summer of Code

From: Eric Lesh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:16:14 -0700

On Sun, 2007-03-25 at 17:20 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> I think it's a pitty to restrict yourself to _local_ filesystem. There
> are tons of cases where you have a fast, non-NFS, access to a machine
> and would like to host your repository there.
> 
> That said, I suppose removing this restriction moves the solution from
> the category "quick and efficient hack" to something much harder.

For now, this is really meant for quick and easy access to multiple
branches of your own repo at the same time.

> 
> Stupid question: why .gitlink, and not .git/link or so? This file is
> not versionned, I don't think it should be in the working tree.
> 

There is no .git dir for these.  The .gitlink refers back to the main
repository's .git/external/$submodule, which is a full .git dir with
index+HEAD and symlinks back to the .git of the main repo for everything
else.

-Eric