Subject: Merging commits together into a super-commit

From: Alex Bennee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 11:51:01 +0100

Hi,

I really love the fact I can micro-commit changes when I'm developing.
However at some point the combination of changes I have made can be
considered a single body of work. This is especially true when you start
doing things like re-basing on code that has moved around a lot. You
don't want to be correcting a whole bunch of merge failures for every
commit in your current tree.

So far the only was I can see to do this is a:

git-diff master..HEAD > my.patch

And then re-applying your patch in stages, manually doing the commits.

Am I missing something?

I'm thinking something like git-cherrypick taking multiple commits and
create a new super commit on a new tree. i.e.:

git-cherrypick -m "Valgrind fixes" 12345.. 12678.. 565757..

Merging the existing commit comments would be nice too.

-- 
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
All God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in
fact, barely presentable. -- Fran Lebowitz, "Metropolitan Life"