Subject: Re: RFC: submodule terminology

From: Raimund Bauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 08:44:46 +0200

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 15:59 -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> I was wondering if we can get away by just calling them
> "projects", "projects containd in the superproject", etc., as I
> tend to agree with Linus, who used the term "superproject
> support" in his talk, that this is not really about creating
> "subproject" which are somehow different from ordinary projects,
> but more about supporting superprojects that can contain/point
> at other projects, which we did not have before 1.5.2 happened.

The "super" or "sub" only comes from where in a hierarchy it is used.
Somewhere in the middle of the hierarchy it would be both?

I'd have said a repository can have many "modules" or "projects", and
each of those can have several branches. A module can hold other
modules, but from its POV also be part of a super-module (or
superproject), we just have to take care to not build loops.

Is my view of the world correct so far?

-- 
best regards

  Ray