Subject: Re: Let me ask again: How do we import patches from non-git sources?

From: Marc Singer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:27:33 -0700

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 13:54 -0400, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> Based on my notes from the last time I needed to feed a bunch of
> non-mbox, non-git-produced patches into git-am, the hard part was
> figuring out how it split a file into separate messages; my notes say:
> 
> 	"Finds lines begining with "From " and ending with "hh:mm:ss
> 	yyyy".  See builtin-mailsplit code for more details."
> 
> Other than that, I think it just needs and From: and Subject: lines to
> get author and first-line of the commit.  the git-am man page has some
> documentation of this.  It could probably use more.
> 

I'm not sure that I understand your response. 

git-am complains that it cannot find an email address, but raw patches
seldom have these.  So, either we could use another command, or it would
be handy if we could supply the email address to git-am (or some other
data it needs so that it can split the patch.)  I suppose the mistaken
assumption is that the patch source in an email instead of already being
a nice clean patch.