Subject: [PATCH 00/11] Document missing options

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:03:36 +0200

This series of patches documents [some] options which were missing
from the documentation.

Table of contents:
==================
 [PATCH 01/11] Use tabs for indenting definition list for options in git-log.txt
 [PATCH 02/11] Document git log --full-diff
 [PATCH 03/11] Document git log --abbrev-commit, as a kind of pretty option
 [PATCH 04/11] Document that '--message=<msg>' is long version of '-m <msg>'
 [PATCH 05/11] Document that '--no-checkout' is long version of '-n' option of git-clone
 [PATCH 06/11] Document git rev-list --timestamp
 [PATCH 07/11] Document git rev-list --full-history
 [PATCH 08/11] Document git rev-parse --is-inside-git-dir
 [PATCH 09/11] Document git read-tree --trivial
 [PATCH 10/11] Document git reflog --stale-fix
 [PATCH 11/11] Document git commit --untracked-files and --verbose

What is still undocumented are:
 * git clone --no-separate-remote, which is deprecated and perhaps
   should be left undocumented.
 * git commit -o|--only, which is now default when providing files
   to be committed, and -i|--include is not present. Description
   of this option was removed in commit 6c96753d:
     "Documentation/git-commit: rewrite to make it more end-user friendly."
   Should we re-add this description?
 * git commit --reedit-message (--reedit) and --reuse-message
   (--reuse). I'm not sure what are the meaning of those options, and
   how they differ from -c (or -C --edit) and -C. I think, but I'm not
   sure, that --reedit-message is long form of -c, and --reuse-message
   is long form of -C.
 * git reflog --dry-run. The --dry-run option in other command describe
   what would be done. I think that this option does not work for this
   command.

I have checked only ling options in builtins and shell scripts; I have
not checked Perl scripts not short options, and I might have missed
some options for which the same named option but for different command
exists in the documentation.

I might have missed modifying usage strings in command source, and
in command documentation.

But I think this series of patches is a good start...
---
 Documentation/git-clone.txt      |    1 +
 Documentation/git-commit.txt     |   12 ++++++++++--
 Documentation/git-log.txt        |    9 ++++++++-
 Documentation/git-read-tree.txt  |    8 +++++++-
 Documentation/git-reflog.txt     |   13 +++++++++++++
 Documentation/git-rev-list.txt   |   13 +++++++++++++
 Documentation/git-rev-parse.txt  |    4 ++++
 Documentation/pretty-options.txt |    9 +++++++++
 builtin-read-tree.c              |    2 +-
 9 files changed, 66 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

--
Jakub Narebski
Poland