Subject: [PATCH 1/3] Document GIT_MERGE_VERBOSITY environmental variable

From: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 01:54:06 +0200

While at it, add "Configuration" section mentioning merge.summary
configuration variable (which is mentioned in git-fmt-merge-msg(1)
man page, but it is a plumbing command), and merge.verbosity
configuration variable (so there is a place to make reference
from "Environment Variables" section of git(7) man page) to the
git-merge(1) man page.

The configuration variable merge.verbosity and environmental variable
GIT_MERGE_VERBOSITY were introduced in commit 8c3275ab, which also
documented configuration variable but not environmental variable.

Signed-off-by: Jakub Narebski <[email-masked]>
---
The alternative to adding "Configuration" section to git-merge(1)
man page, and referring to it in the description of GIT_MERGE_VERBOSITY
environmental variable in git(7), would be to either refer to
git-config(1), or add full description similar to description of
merge.verbosity to git(7).

Perhaps above paragraph should be added to commit message?

I have put shortened sha1 of commit which introduced setting of
a merge verbosity to be able to go to it from graphical UI
like for example gitweb.

 Documentation/config.txt    |    1 +
 Documentation/git-merge.txt |   15 +++++++++++++++
 Documentation/git.txt       |    5 +++++
 3 files changed, 21 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/config.txt b/Documentation/config.txt
index 4b67f0a..6cd0ff0 100644
--- a/Documentation/config.txt
+++ b/Documentation/config.txt
@@ -567,6 +567,7 @@ merge.verbosity::
 	message if conflicts were detected. Level 1 outputs only
 	conflicts, 2 outputs conflicts and file changes.  Level 5 and
 	above outputs debugging information.  The default is level 2.
+	Can be overriden by 'GIT_MERGE_VERBOSITY' environment variable.
 
 merge.<driver>.name::
 	Defines a human readable name for a custom low-level
diff --git a/Documentation/git-merge.txt b/Documentation/git-merge.txt
index d285cba..1442e06 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-merge.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-merge.txt
@@ -43,6 +43,21 @@ If you tried a merge which resulted in a complex conflicts and
 would want to start over, you can recover with
 gitlink:git-reset[1].
 
+CONFIGURATION
+-------------
+
+merge.summary::
+        Whether to include summaries of merged commits in newly
+        merge commit messages. False by default.
+
+merge.verbosity::
+	Controls the amount of output shown by the recursive merge
+	strategy.  Level 0 outputs nothing except a final error
+	message if conflicts were detected. Level 1 outputs only
+	conflicts, 2 outputs conflicts and file changes.  Level 5 and
+	above outputs debugging information.  The default is level 2.
+	Can be overriden by 'GIT_MERGE_VERBOSITY' environment variable.
+
 
 HOW MERGE WORKS
 ---------------
diff --git a/Documentation/git.txt b/Documentation/git.txt
index 10c7bb3..895c25c 100644
--- a/Documentation/git.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git.txt
@@ -410,6 +410,11 @@ parameter, <path>.
 
 other
 ~~~~~
+'GIT_MERGE_VERBOSITY'::
+	A number controlling the amount of output shown by
+	the recursive merge strategy.  Overrides merge.verbosity.
+	See gitlink:git-merge[1]
+
 'GIT_PAGER'::
 	This environment variable overrides `$PAGER`.
 
-- 
1.5.2.2