Subject: Re: Mercurial 0.4b vs git patchbomb benchmark

From: Morten Welinder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:18:20 -0400

> I had three design goals. "disk space" wasn't one of them

And, if at some point it should become an issue, it's fixable.  Since
access to objects
is fairly centralized and since they are immutable, it would be quite
simple to move
an arbitrary selection of the objects into some other storage form
which could take
similarities between objects into account.

If you chose the selection of objects with care -- say those for files
that have changed
many times since -- it shouldn't even hurt performance of day-to-day
tasks (which aren't
likely to ever need those objects).

So disk space and its cousin number-of-files are both when-and-if
problems.  And not
scary ones at that.

Morten