Subject: Re: backup or mirror a repository

From: Dan Farina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 19:37:43 -0700

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 02:56 +0100, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Dan Farina wrote:

> git remote rm is about removing the remote nick, not a remote branch.

Ah, I thought for some reason there'd be a "remove" (since the other
operations have long names) and, much like "ls-remote" there'd be some
"rm-remote." An insane presupposition of mine from having too little
information.

> What you should have done is "git fetch backup".
> 
> Or use "origin" instead of "backup" right from the start, and then use 
> "git fetch".
> 
> But no pull.

I did use "pull backup" (my error for being sloppy and omitting it from
my mail) and it does work provided I do the dirty thing of doing a
subsequent reset --hard (I thought perhaps things were not yet
fully-there). Fetch does it perfectly, as you say, thanks!

> You want to remove branches from the local repo which are no longer there 
> on the remote side?
> 
> Then "git remote prune" is for you.  For details, please see the man page.
> 

I did look at prune and update, but my problem is the opposite: I want
something that will remove branches from the remote repo when they no
longer exist locally. As-is over time I will proliferate little local
branches unless I occasionally sit down and delete branches by operating
directly on the bare backup repository. (and then use prune on the
remote nodes)

Thanks,
fdr