Subject: Re: [PATCH] Support tags in uncommit - use git_id instead of rev_parse

From: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 18:03:11 -0400

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 23:00 +0100, Catalin Marinas wrote:
> On 30/09/2007, Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Signed-off-by: Pavel Roskin <[email-masked]>
> 
> With this patch, uncommit can take patch names (with modifiers) as the
> --to argument. When would this be needed?

Probably never.

> To allow tags, maybe just pass something like
> "git.rev_parse(options.to + '^{commit}')" or just modify git.rev_parse
> to do it (and git_id to avoid it).

I prefer to work with software that understands what I mean and tells me
that I cannot do it.  It makes it easier to understand what is possible
and how the command is working.

Recognizing patch names in some commands but not others would be
annoying and inconsistent.  Dumbing downs interactive software on
purpose is probably not worth the trouble.

-- 
Regards,
Pavel Roskin