Subject: Re: Git and Scmbug integration

From: Kristis Makris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 17:16:44 -0700

On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 11:02 +1100, David Symonds wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2007 10:55 AM, Kristis Makris <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-11-14 at 10:00 +1100, David Symonds wrote:
> > > > http://bugzilla.mkgnu.net/show_bug.cgi?id=991
> > > >
> > > > There's no hook that will trigger when a tag is applied.
> > >
> > > I believe the 'update' hook is run when the tag is pushed.
> >
> > Even if that is true, there no hook that will trigger when a local tag
> > is applied.
> 
> Unannotated tags don't make a proper new object, only a ref. If you
> stick to annotated tags, you'll get new objects added which, I think,
> should trigger the post-commit hook.

I just tried again tagging with both:

$ git tag TAG_NAME

$ git tag -a TAG_NAME

and I don't get the post-commit hook executed.

Perhaps I missed something ?

> > I'd like the commit hook to provide enough information to be able to
> > tell which files were modified and their respective old/new version (or
> > perhaps their old/new SHA-1 hash). If the new SHA-1 hash can be used to
> > extract all that, that's ok with me. But right now there's nothing.
> 
> If you have the new commit's SHA-1, it's very simple to get the parent
> commit's SHA-1 and do whatever you want. A complexity would be with
> handling merges, where a commit has multiple parents. If you have a
> commit SHA-1 hash, you can just "git diff --name-only <hash>^ <hash>"
> to get a list of the files changed by <hash>.

This sounds great. If the post-commit hook could now provide the new
commit SHA-1 hash than that should be what I need.

Can the new commit SHA-1 hash be added as a parameter to the post-commit
hook please ?