Subject: Git in a Nutshell guide

From: "Jonas Juselius" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:05:04 +0100

Hi everybody,

I have been involved in a somewhat painful process of trying to convert
a bunch of scientific programmers from being CVS users to becoming git
users. In this process I ended up writing a sort of git in a nutshell
guide for non-technical users. It struck me that this might be of
interest to others as well. I'm not a grand git wizard myself, so the
guide is probably not entirely correct in every respect. All comments
and suggestions are welcome! 
I have also written a CVS2git transition guide, which outlines one
possible way of converting from CVS to git. This guide has some overlap
with the Git in a Nutshell guide, since I started with the CVS2git guide
and then realised it was not quite enough. It would probably be a good
idea to slim down the CVS2git guide, and move some of the discussion to
the Nushell guide instead. Let me know what you think. Both guides still
need quite a bit of polishing, but I hope they can be useful and
interesting in the crusade against CVS/SVN ;)If you think the guides
could benefit other users, they could maybe be posted (or at least
linked) on the git site.

The guides, including the LaTeX source, are available via gitweb:
http://git.jonas.iki.fi/gitweb.cgi?p=git_guides.git;a=summary

.jonas.