Subject: Re: Git in a Nutshell guide

From: "Jonas Juselius" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:34:38 +0100

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 17:49 +0100, Benoit Sigoure wrote:
> You can create a repository on repo.or.cz then :)
I will :=)
> 
> As it is often the case different people happen to work on similar  
> things without knowing each other.  I started http://repo.or.cz/w/ 
> tutorial.git which is meant to be a big Beamer presentation that  
> presents Git thoroughly.  I wrote some ideas but didn't start to  
> write the slides.  Just in case you want to have a look.
Thanks, there are certainly some things in that document that I ought to
consider incorporating in the guide. But for now I'll let it rest for a
little while, because I don't have time to mess with it. Patches are
always welcome ;)

> One of the things you said in your guide is that Git is easy to  
> learn.  I think this is wrong.  Git is way more complicated than most  
> other SCMs, especially compared to SVN.  Its documentation is far  
> behind, compared to what other SCMs have.  There is no real user  
> guide and the man pages are incomplete, at best.  I know saying this  
> is a bit harsh, especially to the people out there that are working  
> and sending patches to improve the documentation, but I think we have  
> to admit that it's true, even though Git is making progress on this  
> aspect.
Well, you are right to some extent. But it's this gap I would like to
fill with the nutshell guide. The "for normal people" slogan is meant to
refer to non-technical developers (like scientists). I should probably
include a little section in the intro describing distributed vs.
centralised SCMs in general.

Thanks for the input,

.jonas.