Subject: Re: Git and GCC

From: Harvey Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 20:28:39 -0800

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 20:20 -0800, David Miller wrote:
> From: "Daniel Berlin" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:47:01 -0500
> 
> > The size is clearly not just svn data, it's in the git pack itself.
> 
> And other users have shown much smaller metadata from a GIT import,
> and yes those are including all of the repository history and branches
> not just the trunk.

David, I think it is actually a bug in git gc with the --aggressive
option...mind you, even if he solves that the format git svn uses
for its bi-directional metadata is so space-inefficient Daniel will
be crying for other reasons immediately afterwards...4MB for every
branch and tag in gcc svn (more than a few thousand).

You only need it around for any branches you are planning on committing
to but it is all created during the default git svn import.

FYI

Harvey