Subject: Re: Git and GCC

From: Harvey Harrison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:04:47 -0800

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 20:54 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> 
> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007, Harvey Harrison wrote:
> > 
> > If anyone recalls my report was something along the lines of
> > git gc --aggressive explodes pack size.

> [ By default, for example, "git svn clone/fetch" seems to create those 
>   horrible fake email addresses that contain the ID of the SVN repo in 
>   each commit - I'm not talking about the "git-svn-id", I'm talking about 
>   the "user@hex-string-goes-here" thing for the author. Maybe people don't 
>   really care, but isn't that ugly as hell? I'd think it's worth it doing 
>   a really nice import, spending some effort on it.
> 
>   But maybe those things come from the older CVS->SVN import, I don't 
>   really know. I've done a few SVN imports, but I've done them just for 
>   stuff where I didn't want to touch SVN, but just wanted to track some 
>   project like libgpod. For things like *that*, a totally mindless "git 
>   svn" thing is fine ]
> 

git svn does accept a mailmap at import time with the same format as the
cvs importer I think.  But for someone that just wants a repo to check
out this was easiest.  I'd be willing to spend the time to do a nicer
job if there was any interest from the gcc side, but I'm not that
invested (other than owing them for an often-used tool).

Harvey