Subject: Re: "commit"s without "from" in fast-import

From: James Westby <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:39:13 +0000

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 22:06 -0400, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:
> James, Ian -- to give you the short backstory we are talking about
> creating a new branch _without_ a "from", but instead using a single
> "merge" to specify the sole ancestor revision of a new commit to
> be placed on the new branch.  This allows the frontend to supply
> all files for the tree as none were inherited from the sole ancestor.
> 
> The other (more obvious?) approach to accomplish the same result
> is to use "from" followed by a "filedeleteall" to clear the files,
> then supply the new files.  Both approaches have the exact same
> result in git-fast-import.
> 

I don't see why this would cause a fundamental problem for 
bzr-fastimport, and shouldn't be difficult to implement, so I'm
happy for you to proceed however you like.

Thanks,

James