Subject: git pull error message woes

From: Matthias Kestenholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:32:53 +0200

Hi,

I noticed strange behavior while pulling git.git today (this isn't new,
it just occurred to me for the first time today that there is something
wrong going on)

I run the 'pu' branch most of the time, and do not create a local branch
because 'pu' is constantly rebased. I just run git checkout origin/pu
after pulling (I know I should fetch if I don't want to fetch+merge, but
it's hard to retrain the fingers)

Although I am on no branch ($curr_branch is empty), I get the error
message from error_on_no_merge_candidates instead of being notified that
I am on no branch currently. Something around line 150-160 in
git-pull.sh does not seem to work as it should.

The reason might be, that every line in .git/FETCH_HEAD is marked as
not-for-merge?

I don't know if that's the sign of a deeper problem or if it's just
confusing behavior.

I tried fixing it myself, but got lost somewhere in the fetch machinery.

Matthias