Subject: Re: German translation of git man pages

From: Matthias Kestenholz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 13:55:38 +0200

On Wed, 2008-07-30 at 10:53 +0200, Fabio Scotoni wrote:
> Hello,
> 
> I'm currently trying to translate the git man pages into german, as some
> of my co-developers want to stick with svn. Of course, I could use
> git-svn, but it's not what i want. Our svn server crashed two times and
> we lost the history two times.
> 
> Our native language is german and they don't like to read english
> documentation. I already started translating but have some problems:
> Should i translate "branch" with the appropriate german word or keep it
> english? This is a Problem for "pull" "push" and the other actions as
> well. Basically it's possible to copy words, but that isn't very
> esthetical.

There was a long discussion some months ago on this list concering the
localization of git-gui into german. Maybe you'll find some inspiration
here:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=blob;f=git-gui/po/de.po;hb=HEAD

It would probably be very worthwile to follow the translations there
because users of git-gui will feel at home at once instead of having to
re-learn things.

Matthias