Subject: Re: [PATCH] Documentation: add a planning document for the next CLI revamp

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 07:10:31 +1300

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 12:18 +0300, Dmitry Potapov wrote:
> > I can see that some people want this behaviour by default; but to me
> > "push the current branch back to where it came from" seems like far more
> > a rational default for at least 90% of users.
> 
> I think it depends on one's workflow. If you use a centralized workflow
> as with CVS then yes, 90% cases you want to push the current branch. On
> the other hand, if people push their changes to the server only for
> review, it means that accidentally pushing more than one intended is not
> a big deal.

Perhaps not, but it was still unintended.  I really can't understand the
opposition to making this command make many people less angry at it.

>  The only one who does publishing to the official repository
> is the maintainer, and the maintainer is most likely to run some tests
> after merging all changes, which takes some time. So, it is rarely push
> the current branch, it is usually the branch that has been tested, so
> the name of the branch should be specified explicitly anyway.

Why is that relevant?  That person can still use the explicit version of
the command.

Sam.