Subject: Re: is gitosis secure?

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 22:04:13 +1300

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 09:56 +0100, Thomas Koch wrote:
> Sorry for the shameless subject, but I presented gitosis yesterday to
> our sysadmin and he wasn't much delighted to learn, that write access to
> repositories hosted with gitosis would need SSH access.
> 
> So could you help me out in this discussion, whether to use or not to
> use gitosis? 
> Our admin would prefer to not open SSH at all outside our LAN, but
> developers would need to have write access also outside the office.

Restricted unix shells are a technology which has been proven secure for
decades now.  If you use git-shell, you are keeping the secure part of
SSH - the authentication and encryption - and restricting the SSH access
part to the bare minimum required for useful access to the required
services.

ie ... it all comes down to the shell you give those 'login' users as to
what they can do.

Sam.