Subject: Re: git gtk+/GNOME gui application: gitg

From: Jesse van den Kieboom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 12:50:28 +0100

Op dinsdag 03-02-2009 om 11:43 uur [tijdzone -0800], schreef Stefan
Karpinski:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Michael J Gruber
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > Not yet another one, please!
> >
> > I'm sorry, but that was my first thought. I lost count of how many
> > half-finished GUIs we have, using tcl/tk, gtk, qt, you-name-it-tk. I
> > still don't see any which provide a consistent, "modern", stable GUI for
> > viewing *and* committing, i.e. a replacement for gitk and git-gui.
> >
> > The latter two still seem to be the most feature rich choices, but they
> > suffer somewhat from their implementation language. Just look at the git
> > survey and you know why nobody wants to work on them.
> 
> For what it's worth, GitX (OS X only) does both history viewing and
> committing, and seems to be rapidly approaching the feature set of
> gitk and git-gui combined. Unfortunately, I seem to inevitably hate
> cross-platform GUI's---they never feel right or work slickly enough.
> Sad, but true.

This is the reason why I'm developing gitg as a separate application,
and not as a different front end for GitX.

> If GitX and this newer project could share a lot of code base, then
> maybe their co-development would be accelerated and both would end up
> being slick, native, full-fledged GUIs for git.

I try to follow the implementation of GitX very closely since it's the
basis of the development of gitg (it happens to be that I know the
developer of GitX very well).

-- 
Jesse van den Kieboom

Personal: http://www.icecrew.nl
Professional: http://www.novowork.com