Subject: [EGIT PATCH v2 00/12] Support customizable label decorations

From: Tor Arne Vestbø <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:40:02 +0100

This series adds support for customizable label decorations, which
is usefull for hiding selected decorations, or tweaking the format
of the decoration text.

Changes in v2:

  - Fixed layout issues in preference dialog
  - Icons replaced to match established conventions
  - 'Assume unchanged' icon is back
  - Added tooltips in the preference dialog
  - 'Added and dirty' is now decorated appropriately
  - Refactored container decorations. Now shares code path with
    files for more accurate results, and to allow inheritance

Decorations are edited using the new Team->Git->Label Decorations
preference page, which is based off similar functionality from the
existing CVS and SVN team providers.

Icons can be enabled and disabled individually, and text can be
customized by reordering and editing the set of mapped variables.
Boolean variables like 'dirty' and 'staged' can be customized by
postfixing the variable name with a colon and a selected string
that should be insert if the variable evaluates to true.

The two general options control traversal of child and parent
elements during decoration. The first, 'Also re-decorate...',
controls whether or not ancestor elements of the current decorated
elment will also be scheduled for re-recoration. The second, 
'Maximum number of levels...', controls how deep the container
decoration algorithm will recurse when trying to determine the
state (dirty, staged, etc.) of a container.

Tweaking these options will improve performance for large trees.

The code should work fairly well for most usecases, but I may have
missed cases where the decorations will fail misserably. If so, 
please let me know. 

Known issues are:

  - If a project has a repository more than one level above the
    project directory decorations will fail.

  - When a Java resource is dirty, each package in the package
    hierarcy will appear dirty, also when the layout is set
    to 'flat', which can be confusing.

These are on my list for features to add on top of these series,
but I consider them non-blocking. This also goes for online help,
which will be added when things stabilize some more.

I've also sprinkled the code with TODOs where I found possible 
future improvments. One such improvment is performance, where for
example refactoring to use one shared status cache should help.

Tor Arne

Tor Arne VestbÃ¸ (12):
  Add support code to handle plugin property changes
  Use Set instead of array to keep track of change listeners
  Add a specialized team exception for Git
  Add new class ExceptionCollector for grouping exceptions
  Add new class SWTUtils with helper-methods for creating controls
  Implement basic customizable label decorations with preferences
  Add binding for name of the current branch
  Add icon decoration for tracked and untracked resources
  Implement icon and text decorations of various resource states
  Don't decorate every single resource on repository change
  Expose the underlying resource entries in ContainerTreeIterator
  Implement label decorations for folders and projects

 org.spearce.egit.core/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF         |    5 +-
 .../spearce/egit/core/ContainerTreeIterator.java   |   23 +-
 .../src/org/spearce/egit/core/GitException.java    |  168 ++++
 .../core/internal/util/ExceptionCollector.java     |  128 +++
 .../spearce/egit/core/project/GitProjectData.java  |   40 +-
 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/assume_valid.gif     |  Bin 0 -> 85 bytes
 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/assumevalid.gif      |  Bin 64 -> 0 bytes
 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/conflict.gif         |  Bin 64 -> 194 bytes
 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/pending_add.gif      |  Bin 64 -> 0 bytes
 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/pending_remove.gif   |  Bin 111 -> 0 bytes
 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/shared.gif           |  Bin 106 -> 0 bytes
 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/staged.gif           |  Bin 0 -> 114 bytes
 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/staged_added.gif     |  Bin 0 -> 169 bytes
 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/staged_removed.gif   |  Bin 0 -> 176 bytes
 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/untracked.gif        |  Bin 0 -> 79 bytes
 org.spearce.egit.ui/plugin.properties              |    1 +
 org.spearce.egit.ui/plugin.xml                     |   12 +-
 .../src/org/spearce/egit/ui/Activator.java         |   68 ++
 .../egit/ui/PluginPreferenceInitializer.java       |   15 +
 .../src/org/spearce/egit/ui/UIIcons.java           |   21 +-
 .../src/org/spearce/egit/ui/UIPreferences.java     |   21 +
 .../src/org/spearce/egit/ui/UIText.java            |   99 ++-
 .../src/org/spearce/egit/ui/internal/SWTUtils.java |  595 ++++++++++++
 .../egit/ui/internal/actions/BranchAction.java     |    4 +-
 .../egit/ui/internal/actions/Disconnect.java       |    4 +-
 .../egit/ui/internal/actions/ResetAction.java      |    4 +-
 .../decorators/DecoratableResourceAdapter.java     |  391 ++++++++
 .../decorators/GitLightweightDecorator.java        |  653 ++++++++++++++
 .../internal/decorators/GitResourceDecorator.java  |  454 ----------
 .../internal/decorators/IDecoratableResource.java  |  100 ++
 .../preferences/GitDecoratorPreferencePage.java    |  949 ++++++++++++++++++++
 .../src/org/spearce/egit/ui/uitext.properties      |   38 +-
 .../src/org/spearce/jgit/treewalk/TreeWalk.java    |    9 +
 33 files changed, 3310 insertions(+), 492 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.core/src/org/spearce/egit/core/GitException.java
 create mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.core/src/org/spearce/egit/core/internal/util/ExceptionCollector.java
 create mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/assume_valid.gif
 delete mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/assumevalid.gif
 delete mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/pending_add.gif
 delete mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/pending_remove.gif
 delete mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/shared.gif
 create mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/staged.gif
 create mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/staged_added.gif
 create mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/staged_removed.gif
 create mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/icons/ovr/untracked.gif
 create mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/src/org/spearce/egit/ui/internal/SWTUtils.java
 create mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/src/org/spearce/egit/ui/internal/decorators/DecoratableResourceAdapter.java
 create mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/src/org/spearce/egit/ui/internal/decorators/GitLightweightDecorator.java
 delete mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/src/org/spearce/egit/ui/internal/decorators/GitResourceDecorator.java
 create mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/src/org/spearce/egit/ui/internal/decorators/IDecoratableResource.java
 create mode 100644 org.spearce.egit.ui/src/org/spearce/egit/ui/internal/preferences/GitDecoratorPreferencePage.java