Subject: [PATCH] Clarify the git-branch documentation of default start-point

From: Martin Nordholts <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 07:41:13 +0200

For someone not deeply into git it is easy to assume that start-point
of git-branch will deafult to origin/remotebranch when executing the
following command sequence:

  git checkout origin/remotebranch
  git branch localbranch

This change clarifies the git-branch documentation regarding this.
---
 Documentation/git-branch.txt |    5 ++++-
 1 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-branch.txt b/Documentation/git-branch.txt
index ae201de..426f707 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-branch.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-branch.txt
@@ -148,7 +148,10 @@ start-point is either a local or remote branch.
 <start-point>::
 	The new branch will be created with a HEAD equal to this.  It may
 	be given as a branch name, a commit-id, or a tag.  If this option
-	is omitted, the current branch is assumed.
+	is omitted, the current branch is assumed.  Note that checking
+	out a remote branch does not make it the current branch.  If a
+	remote branch is desired as start-point it must be an explicity
+	specified.
 
 <oldbranch>::
 	The name of an existing branch to rename.
-- 
1.6.0.6