Subject: Re: [PATCH] Clarify the git-branch documentation of default start-point

From: Martin Nordholts <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:04:21 +0200

On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 22:48 -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Martin Nordholts <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > -	is omitted, the current branch is assumed.
> > +	is omitted, the current branch is assumed.  Note that checking
> > +	out a remote branch does not make it the current branch.  If a
> > +	remote branch is desired as start-point it must be an explicity
> > +	specified.
> 
> [...] "it" in the second new sentence is unclear.
> 
> You probably wanted to answer "If I wanted to have _my own 'next' branch_
> that tracks 'next' from the remote, what should I do?"

What I am trying to clarify is that a remote branch will never be the
default for the start-point argument to git-branch, so if someone wants
a remote branch as start-point, then the branch must be explicitly
specified.

For this, the first sentence might actually be enough. If a remote
branch never is the current branch, and if start-point defaults to the
current branch, then the start-point can never default to a remote
branch.

Should we just stick to the first sentence then perhaps?

 / Martin