Subject: Re: [PATCH] Make git config fail on variables with no section, as documented

From: Alex Vandiver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 16:24:37 -0400

At Sun Jul 26 15:48:20 -0400 2009, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> That, together with the fact that "git config -f <file>" was meant 
> _explicitely_ to allow 3rd party porcelains having their own config files 
> without having to implement their own "git config" lets me suspect that 
> we'd rather want the current behavior.

*shrug* Note I'm not wholly convinced of the rationale myself -- I'm
merely trying to reconcile the documentation and reality.  I'll also
note that you can't, at current, set or unset such values from the
command-line.

Looking back at the blame for the documentation, it looks like e136f33
in 2007 is what added the claim that section-less variables weren't
acceptable.  The `git repo-config` of the time parsed them just fine,
however.

If you wish to correct the documentation instead, I can send in a doc
patch.  Fixing --set and --unset to work with section-less variables
will take a bit more work, however.
 - Alex
-- 
Networking -- only one letter away from not working