Subject: Re: From P4 to Git

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 23:30:10 +1200

On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 10:47 +0200, Alex Riesen wrote:
> Is it an import-once tool, or can the process be restarted? (because it looks
> like the script needs a complicated setup).

It's fully restartable.  Not only that but it uses transaction
protection to make sure that its internal state doesn't get corrupted
when performing the various options.

> Can it be used from a client machine?
>  And more importantly:
> can the branches be found from incomplete history,
> restricted by path and changelist range? (because, in a corporate
> setup, clients seldom have full access to all data).

No, it's server only.  I think I did get around to implementing not having
to go through all the stages for branches you didn't care to import.  It's
difficult though, the stage which correlates those thousands of 'integrate'
records is never going to be fast.  Be prepared to tune your postgres - add
lots of shared_buffers and sort memory if your project is as large as Perl.

Sam.