Subject: Re: Continue git clone after interruption

From: Tomasz Kontusz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 08:58:55 +0200

Dnia 2009-08-18, wto o godzinie 07:43 +0200, Matthieu Moy pisze:
> Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Tomasz Kontusz wrote:
> >
> >> is anybody working on making it possible to continue git clone after 
> >> interruption? It would be quite useful for people with bad internet 
> >> connection (I was downloading a big repo lately, and it was a bit 
> >> frustrating to start it over every time git stopped at ~90%).
> >
> > Unfortunately, we did not have enough GSoC slots for the project to allow 
> > restartable clones.
> >
> > There were discussions about how to implement this on the list,
> > though.
> 
> And a paragraph on the wiki:
> 
> http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/SoC2009Ideas#RestartableClone

Ok, so it looks like it's not implementable without some kind of cache
server-side, so the server would know what the pack it was sending
looked like.
But here's my idea: make server send objects in different order (the
newest commit + whatever it points to first, then next one,then
another...). Then it would be possible to look at what we got, tell
server we have nothing, and want [the newest commit that was not
complete]. I know the reason why it is sorted the way it is, but I think
that the way data is stored after clone is clients problem, so the
client should reorganize packs the way it wants.

Tomasz K.