Subject: [PATCH-v2/RFC 0/6] improvements for trailing-space processing on incomplete lines

From: Thell Fowler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 22:47:59 -0500

These patches are directly aimed at making it possible to validate the
results of git apply --whitespace=fix which is currently not possible
in files with incomplete lines in various situations (demonstrated in
the test in PATCH 1).

The goal is to be able to validate the application of a patch generated
from a dirty whitespace source to a clean target.

        D2  C2
        | \/ |
        | /\ |
        D1  C1

where D1..D2, C1..C2, C1..D2, D1..C2 should all yield the same patch-id
when passed a diff ignoring the applicable whitespace changes.

Applying these patches does nothing to fix the case of differences when
apply --whitespace=fix limits new blank lines at eof as can happen when
foo\r\n\r\n\r\n is fixed to foo\n\n.

Thell Fowler (6):
  Add supplemental test for trailing-whitespace on incomplete lines
  xutils: fix hash with whitespace on incomplete line
  xutils: fix ignore-all-space on incomplete line
  xutils: fix ignore-space-change on incomplete line
  xutils: fix ignore-space-at-eol on incomplete line
  t4015: add tests for trailing-space on incomplete line

 t/t4015-diff-trailing-whitespace.sh |   95 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 t/t4015-diff-whitespace.sh          |   33 ++++++++++++
 xdiff/xutils.c                      |   39 ++++++++++-----
 3 files changed, 154 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 t/t4015-diff-trailing-whitespace.sh