Subject: Re: git svn pointing at svn branch instead of trunk?

From: Daniele Segato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:30:39 +0200

Il giorno sab, 22/08/2009 alle 11.40 -0700, [email-masked] ha
scritto:
> When I used git svn to clone a repository, it ended up pointing master
> at a tag in svn instead of trunk. For example, git svn info shows the
> URL for the tag instead of trunk. git log master also shows the most
> recent commit is the creation of that tag in svn, but then the next
> commit is the most recent commit to trunk. It's like it's mixing
> things from the tag with things from trunk. The most recent commit in
> svn was to create the tag that master is now pointing to in case that
> matters.

I had the same problem a while ago.

When git-svn is done cloning you find yourself in the "master" branch
(check by executing git branch) and it's content is the last svn-commit.
If the last svn commit is a tag or in a branch you'll end up in that
tag/branch

> Is there something in the svn repository that might cause this? What's
> the correct way to reset what git svn thinks master should point to?
> And how should I get rid of the commit on master that created the tag
> without messing up git svn (e.g. can I just git reset or will that
> confuse git svn later?).

execute:
git branch -r

it will list all the remote branches:

usually one will be "trunk"

if you now execute:

git reset --hard remotes/trunk

it will reset your current local branch (master) to the remote trunk and
will start to truck that remote branch (trunk)

I'm a git newbie, so if i said something wrong I hope someone will
correct me.

Cheers,
Daniele