Subject: [gitweb feature request] Release snapshots with vX.X.X tags

From: Bram Neijt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2009 12:40:42 +0100

Dear list members,

I would like to create release snapshots with a git tag like "v0.0.1".
For proper Debian packaging, a release snapshot of tag "v0.0.1" would
have to be named "project-0.0.1.tar.gz" and contain a single directory
with "project-0.0.1/" in the archive.

Attached is a very dirty patch to the current head of gitweb.perl to
change the snapshot if the requested hash has a tag which matches
"m/^v(.+)\^0$/". This regular expression will probably have to be more
strict then that in the future, but my main concern is the quality of
the patch, and whether or not this feature is something the mainstream
would appreciate.

My question to you all is: would this feature be considered as an
addition, and if so what would be the best way to get this patch into
shape for inclusion?

Greetings,
  Bram Neijt

5269a5270,5274
> 	my $tagname = git_get_rev_name_tags($hash);
> 	my $tagversion = "";
> 	if ($tagname =~ m/^v(.+)\^0$/) {
>   	$tagversion = "-" + $1;
> 	}
5275a5281,5288
> 
> 	if($tagversion)	{
> 		$filename .= "$tagversion$known_snapshot_formats{$format}{'suffix'}";
> 	}
> 	else	{
> 		$filename .= "-$hash$known_snapshot_formats{$format}{'suffix'}";
> 	}
> 
5281c5294
< 		"--prefix=$name/", $hash);
---
> 		"--prefix=$name$tagversion/", $hash);