Subject: [PATCH 0/2] Improve Git performance on big trees

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:02:19 +0700

The discussion about using Git on Gentoo comes up again [1] and it
looks like we can improve Git a bit if user only works on some
subdirectories. In such cases, Git still does whole-tree check, which
takes quite some time. "git status" takes 3 seconds on my machine, but
I suspect lstat() is not the only culprit, "git diff --exit-code" is
about 1 sec.

These patches makes "git rm <path>" and "git status <path>" a bit
faster. Almost 1 sec for "git rm foo" still seems too long though,
probably due to writing a 9MB index.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/64522

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy (2):
  rm: only refresh entries that we may touch
  status: only touch path we may need to check

 builtin-commit.c |    2 +-
 builtin-rm.c     |    2 +-
 wt-status.c      |    2 +-
 3 files changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)