Subject: Storing (hidden) per-commit metadata

From: Jelmer Vernooij <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 18:11:25 +0100

To allow round-tripping pushes from Bazaar into Git, I'm looking for a
good place to store Bazaar semantics that can not be represented in Git
at the moment. This data should ideally be hidden from the user as much
as possible; it would e.g. contain mappings from git hashes to Bazaar
ids. 

One option would be to store it (as hg-git does) at the bottom of each
git commit message. However, given the amount of data and the its kind,
it would be annoying to have it displayed by e.g. "git show" or "git
log".

Some people have suggested I use the new git notes to store this
metadata, but I haven't quite figured out how to add notes that aren't
displayed by git log/show and are still propagated along with the
revision. Is that at all possible using notes, and are they the right
thing to use here?

There also doesn't appear to be any documentation on notes in
Documentation/technical at the moment. I'm happy to contribute some if
somebody can provide pointers.

Cheers,

Jelmer