Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/5] Documentation/remote-helpers: Rewrite description

From: Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:28:57 +0530

Hi Jonathan,

Since patch has already been reviewed many times, and signed off by
Junio before going into pu, I've tried to minimize changes and prepare
a fixup patch while addressing all your concerns. Do tell me if it's
alright.

diff --git a/Documentation/git-remote-helpers.txt b/Documentation/git-remote-helpers.txt
index 6ffc0da..52332ed 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-remote-helpers.txt
+++ b/Documentation/git-remote-helpers.txt
@@ -12,26 +12,27 @@ SYNOPSIS
 DESCRIPTION
 -----------
 
-Remote helper programs are normally not used directly by end users,
+Remote helper programs are normally not used directly by end users
 but are invoked by git when it needs to interact with remote
 repositories. They implement a subset of the capabilities documented
-here, and conform to the "remote helper protocol". When git needs
+here and conform to the "remote helper protocol". When git needs
 needs to interact with a repository served by a remote helper, it
-spawns the helper as an independent process and interacts with it over
-the specified protocol. git sends commands to the helper
-over standard input, and receives the result written to standard
+spawns the helper as an independent process, sends it commands
+over standard input, and receives the results written to standard
 output by the helper over a pipe. Because a remote helper runs as
 an independent process to interact with remote repositories, there
 is no need to re-link git when adding a new helper nor need to link
 the helper with the implementation of git.
 
-All the capabilities of remote helpers have to do with discovering and
+Every helper must support the "capabilities" command, which lists a
+set of commands corresponding to the capabilities of the helper.
+The capabilities have to do with discovering and
 updating remote refs, transporting objects between local and remote,
-and updating the local object store. Using the 'fetch' capability,
-they can discover refs on the remote, transfer objects from the remote
-reachable via those refs to local, and update the local object
+and updating the local object store. Helpers supporting the 'fetch'
+capability can discover refs on the remote, transfer objects from the
+remote reachable via those refs to local, and update the local object
 store. Using the 'push' capability, they can transfer objects from
-local to remote, and update the corresponding refs as necessary.
+local to remote, and update remote refs.
 
 Git comes with a "curl" family of remote helpers, that handle various
 transport protocols, such as 'git-remote-http', 'git-remote-https',