Subject: Re: Has anyone looked at Gettext support for Git itself?

From: Marc Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 17:04:56 +0200

Excerpts from Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason's message of Sun May 16 00:10:09 +0200 2010:
> I couldn't find anything about this in the list archives. Have there
> been any discussions of adding internationalization support to Git
> itself? I.e. the interface messages that the core Git utilities emit.
> 
> I tried to get started with integrating GNU Gettext, but gnuish
> assumptions it makes about building make it a bit hard.
> 
> Is there perhaps another gettext implementation that would be more
> suitable for Git?
> 
> I'd be interested in submitting patches to make the existing strings
> translatable if someone could get the tool + build skeleton going.

It may sound silly and stupid: My coworker has had much trouble because
he doesn't know English at all.
You could help those people very much by creating a git-translator.org
page where you can copy paste failures which are translated only.

In the end you must have seen any failure multiple times to cope with
it - no matter which language this message was written in. However
having an understandable text may help.

Marc Weber