Subject: Re: What's the best way to make my company migrate to Git?

From: Daniele Segato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 17:58:51 +0200

Il giorno ven, 21/05/2010 alle 08.54 -0700, Jakub Narebski ha scritto:
> Daniele Segato <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> [...]
> > I think that to introduce git in my company I should at least go throw
> > this 5 points:
> 
> > 1. prepare a project management web application easy to use and
> >    mantain (like github or gitorious for instance) on one of our
> >    intranet servers.
> 
> Note that while Gitorious (in Ruby), InDefero (in PHP), and Girocco
> (with gitweb, Perl + shell script, used by http://repo.or.cz) are open
> source, GitHub is not.  There is GitHub:FI if you want [self] hosted
> GitHub-alike, but it is proprietary and it is not cheap.
> 
> There is also Gerrit, a web based code review system, which runs in
> any standard Java servlet container.

Thanks for the list.
Yes I know GitHub isn't Open Source, and just for this reason it can't
be an option, but it's features are the one I'm looking for.
I never heard of some of the project you listed here, I'll give them a
try.
Did someone worked with some of them and have a review or an opinion
about them?

> 
> [...]
> > Can you also tell me if you think there is some risk in migrating and
> > what kind of difficult I could encounter in the process?
> > For example: like any company we have a proxy and a firewall..
> > For example: if i had to commit something working from home I connect
> > to the Subversion via HTTPS and commit, with Git I should have ssh
> > access which is something that I probably will not have.
> 
> Actually with never Git you can push and pull via HTTP(S) natively,
> thanks to git-http-backend.  With older Git you had to use HTTP as
> "dumb" protocol, using HTTPS + WebDAV to push (note that for "dumb"
> servers git-update-server-info must be run, e.g. via a hook).

Oh, that's interesting. I wasn't aware of this.
I'll go read some doc about this new feature, thanks.

Daniele