Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 1/2] add basic tests for merge-tree

From: Will Palmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:01:33 +0100

On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 16:31 -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Will Palmer <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > merge-tree had no test cases, so here we add some very basic tests for
> > it, including some known-breakages.
> >
> > Signed-off-by: Will Palmer <[email-masked]>
> > ---
> >  t/t4300-merge-tree.sh |  277 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >  1 files changed, 277 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)
> >  create mode 100755 t/t4300-merge-tree.sh
> 
> This does not sound like part of "the diff commands", unlike apply/diff/log.
> Perhaps somewhere in t3xxx "other basic commands" series?

I was a bit iffy on this one. Part of this was, admittedly, because
t3[0-9] were all taken, and I'm not sure about what number should be
used after that (perhaps t/README needs to be updated? It only mentions
three digits, but lists the template as tNNNN)

However, merge-tree has a function similar to diff (it shows differences
between trees) and apply (it creates the "result" object when there are
no conflicts), and its purpose seems to be more of a "shower" than a
"do-er" (contrasted with something like git-merge, which actually
creates a commit object, for example), so I thought that diff-commands
would be a good classification.

If you can tell me what number it should be, I'll change it.

-- 
-- Will