Subject: Re: Question about 'branch -d' safety

From: Will Palmer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 20:45:44 +0100

On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 11:16 -0600, Joshua Jensen wrote:
> My brain has become muddied with all the ~2 stuff.  Explain again why it 
> can't be as simple as this?
...snip...
> git checkout -b integration HEAD@{1}  (or 8000000)
> 
> -Josh

Because:
 1) The HEAD reflog is the wrong place to stick things which weren't
recently checked-out.
 and 2) the previous tip is currently the easiest-to-recover part of a
deleted branch. What's lost is all the reflog data: order of states, and
how they were reached.

However, I /do/ think it's as simple as "don't delete the reflog right
away when you delete a branch", and other edge-cases and niceties in
terms of UI (such as ref renaming, resurrection of refs for tracking
unrelated data, etc) can be taken care of later, if there's actually a
need for them.

-- 
-- Will