Subject: Re: Git server eats all memory

From: Sam Vilain <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 12:30:26 +0200

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 21:31 -0500, Sverre Rabbelier wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 19:46, Robin H. Johnson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Our temporary solution plan is via hooks, if you're asking for a item
> > before a certain point, throw an error telling you to download a
> > git-bundle from a given URL instead (as a bonus you can resume that
> > trivially).
> 
> Seems like there should be a way to tell the git server that certain
> pack files should be sent to the client verbatim. Perhaps the protocol
> could learn a new capability to support such a negotiation in which
> the server will assume that the client either has the required packs,
> or continue negotiation under the assumption that they will be
> downloaded first.
> 
> Sounds like Sam might have some relevant to say about this? Or perhaps
> the pack caching gsoc project is relevant?

Sure, well the project was supposed to be primarily useful for this use
case.  It just needs someone to pick it up and revitalize it so it can
be merged... looks like there's a topgit series at github.com/sirnot/git
from Oct. last year.

Sam