Subject: [PATCH v2/pu] perl/Makefile: Unset INSTALL_BASE when making perl.mak

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 02:48:40 +0000

PREFIX and INSTALL_BASE are mutually exclusive. If both are supplied
by INSTALL_BASE being set in PERL_MM_OPT ExtUtils::MakeMaker will
produce an error:

    $ echo $PERL_MM_OPT
    INSTALL_BASE=/home/avar/perl5
    $ make -C perl  PERL_PATH='/usr/bin/perl' prefix='/home/avar' perl.mak
    make: Entering directory `/home/avar/g/git/perl'
    /usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL PREFIX='/home/avar'
    Only one of PREFIX or INSTALL_BASE can be given.  Not both.
    make: *** [perl.mak] Error 255
    make: Leaving directory `/home/avar/g/git/perl'

Change the perl Makefile to work around this by explicitly unsetting
INSTALL_BASE.

INSTALL_BASE is set in PERL_MM_OPT by e.g. the popular local::lib
package, from its documentation:

    eval $(perl -I$HOME/perl5/lib/perl5 -Mlocal::lib 2>/dev/null)

Many other environments might also have set PERL_MM_OPT before
building Git. This change enables us to build in these environments.

Signed-off-by: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
---

Here's a patch on top of pu instead. This change conflicted with the
gettext series.

 perl/Makefile |    2 +-
 1 files changed, 1 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)

diff --git a/perl/Makefile b/perl/Makefile
index 4e624ff..b2977cd 100644
--- a/perl/Makefile
+++ b/perl/Makefile
@@ -39,7 +39,7 @@ $(makfile): ../GIT-CFLAGS Makefile
 	echo '	echo $(instdir_SQ)' >> $@
 else
 $(makfile): Makefile.PL ../GIT-CFLAGS
-	$(PERL_PATH) $< PREFIX='$(prefix_SQ)' --localedir='$(localedir_SQ)'
+	$(PERL_PATH) $< PREFIX='$(prefix_SQ)' INSTALL_BASE='' --localedir='$(localedir_SQ)'
 endif
 
 # this is just added comfort for calling make directly in perl dir
-- 
1.7.2.1.327.gfb40