Subject: [RFD] git glossary: define pathspec

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 17:13:42 +0700

As far as I know we have three lightly incompatible pathspec
implementations:

1. match_pathspec() in dir.c
2. tree_interesting() in tree-walk.c
3. pathspec_matches() in builtin/grep.c

What I describe here is match_pathspec(). What I want is a single
pathspec semantics that all three must follow. Or even better, all
three will become a single impl.

We need to point the differences between the three and see how to
unify them.

sure if #3 can do the same.

directories. Therefore "Documentation" can't match the directory,
while Documentation/ can. This is no problem to #2. It can be solved
with a similar approach to [1], although maybe we can just convert the
index to tree-based structure.

Any other differences?

Also rewording my poor paragraph is welcome.

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/162267
---
 Documentation/glossary-content.txt |   11 +++++++++++
 1 files changed, 11 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/glossary-content.txt b/Documentation/glossary-content.txt
index 1f029f8..22da1b1 100644
--- a/Documentation/glossary-content.txt
+++ b/Documentation/glossary-content.txt
@@ -278,6 +278,17 @@ This commit is referred to as a "merge commit", or sometimes just a
 	of the logical predecessor(s) in the line of development, i.e. its
 	parents.
 
+[[def_pathspec]]pathspec::
+	Pathspec in its simplest form is a literal path to address a
+	file or a blob.
+	Pathspec can end with a slash. Such pathspec is considered a
+	directory prefix and will match everything under matched
+	directory.
+	Pathspec can contain wildcards such as '*', '?'... Such
+	pathspecs, after being matched literally against the entire
+	path, will be matched against the entire path using
+	fnmatch(3).
+
 [[def_pickaxe]]pickaxe::
 	The term <<def_pickaxe,pickaxe>> refers to an option to the diffcore
 	routines that help select changes that add or delete a given text
-- 
1.7.3.2.316.gda8b3