Subject: [PATCHv2 0/8] docs: use metavariables consistently

From: Mark Lodato <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 00:38:37 -0500

Update the documentation and usage statements to use metavariables, such as
<commit>, more consistently.  The biggest change is to drop the <tree-ish> and
<commit-ish> (or <committish>) notation and just use <tree> or <commit>, since
every command but commit-tree accepts tree-ishes and commit-ishes.  The "-ish"
terms are still kept around in various places where it makes sense to
differentiate between an actual tree or commit and a tree-ish or commit-ish.

This is a rework of my earlier patch set from March [1], with the following
differences:

- Drop the patch to commit-tree that makes it accept a tree-ish.
- Drop the patch dealing with <tag> and <tagname>.
- Leave -ish terms in comments and in places where they make sense.
- Rebase onto master (1b97434).  Some of the patches from before have since
  been accepted from other authors.
- Fix a problem that Junio noticed with the "grep docs" patch.

[1] http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2010/3/13/25484

Mark Lodato (8):
  fsck docs: remove outdated and useless diagnostic
  docs: use `...' instead of `*' for multiplicity
  docs: use <sha1> to mean unabbreviated ID
  http-fetch docs: use <commit-id> consistently
  grep docs: grep accepts a <tree-ish>, not a <tree>
  docs: use <tree> instead of <tree-ish>
  docs: use <commit> instead of <commit-ish>
  describe docs: note that <commit> is optional

 Documentation/RelNotes/1.6.2.4.txt    |    2 +-
 Documentation/diff-format.txt         |   10 +++++-----
 Documentation/diff-generate-patch.txt |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-archive.txt         |    4 ++--
 Documentation/git-cat-file.txt        |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-checkout.txt        |   16 ++++++++--------
 Documentation/git-commit-tree.txt     |    3 ++-
 Documentation/git-describe.txt        |   15 ++++++++-------
 Documentation/git-diff-index.txt      |    4 ++--
 Documentation/git-diff-tree.txt       |   18 +++++++++---------
 Documentation/git-fast-import.txt     |   22 +++++++++++-----------
 Documentation/git-fsck.txt            |    5 +----
 Documentation/git-http-fetch.txt      |    4 ++--
 Documentation/git-ls-files.txt        |    6 +++---
 Documentation/git-ls-tree.txt         |    6 +++---
 Documentation/git-merge-index.txt     |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-merge-tree.txt      |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-name-rev.txt        |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-read-tree.txt       |   10 +++++-----
 Documentation/git-rebase.txt          |    2 +-
 Documentation/git-svn.txt             |    6 +++---
 Documentation/git-tar-tree.txt        |    4 ++--
 Documentation/git.txt                 |   27 +++++++++++++--------------
 Documentation/gitcli.txt              |    6 +++---
 Documentation/gittutorial-2.txt       |    6 ++----
 Documentation/glossary-content.txt    |    4 ++++
 archive.c                             |    4 ++--
 builtin/commit-tree.c                 |    2 +-
 builtin/describe.c                    |    4 ++--
 builtin/diff-index.c                  |    2 +-
 builtin/diff-tree.c                   |    2 +-
 builtin/ls-files.c                    |    4 ++--
 builtin/ls-tree.c                     |    2 +-
 builtin/merge-index.c                 |    2 +-
 builtin/read-tree.c                   |    2 +-
 builtin/revert.c                      |    4 ++--
 builtin/tar-tree.c                    |    2 +-
 contrib/examples/git-reset.sh         |    2 +-
 contrib/examples/git-revert.sh        |    4 ++--
 git-svn.perl                          |    6 +++---
 t/t4100/t-apply-3.patch               |    8 ++++----
 t/t4100/t-apply-7.patch               |    8 ++++----
 42 files changed, 124 insertions(+), 124 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.3.2