Subject: [PATCH WIP 0/3] git log --exclude

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 18:18:05 +1100

This series adds --exclude that uses .gitignore mechanism remove
commits whose changes that are _entirely_ excluded. The main patch is
2/3 where it teaches diff_tree_* about struct exclude_list.

Because it uses .gitignore mechanism, beware that these patterns do
not behave exactly like pathspecs (patterns without slashes match
every directory, for example)

I tried these commands

  time git log --stat >/dev/null
  time git log --stat --exclude=Documentation >/dev/null

The former took 37 secs, the latter 40 secs. Not bad, but there is
definitely room for improvement. skip_excludes() should be able to
point out whether an entire directory is excluded and skip the whole
directory (as opposed to descending in and checking files one by one
now, in fear of negative patterns). These kinds of optimizations
benefit sparse checkout too.

I think I made a mistake somewhere because the above command seems to
remove more commits than it should... Regardless,
"git log --exclude=po" on gnome-shell looks sooo clean.

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy (3):
  diff-no-index: rename read_directory to avoid conflict from dir.h
  tree-diff: teach it to understand exclude patterns
  log: add --exclude option

 diff-no-index.c |    6 ++--
 diff.h          |   11 ++++++++++
 revision.c      |    7 ++++-
 revision.h      |    2 +
 tree-diff.c     |   58 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
 5 files changed, 75 insertions(+), 9 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.3.1.256.g2539c.dirty