Subject: [PATCH/WIP 00/11] read_directory() rewrite to support struct pathspec

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:36:05 +1100

This is the first time "make test" fully passes (*) for me, so it's
probably good enough for human eyes. Just heads up where this might
go.

A few points:

 - "git add --ignore-missing" is killed because I could not find an
   easy way to incorporate it to the new read_directory(). It looks
   like a hack to me, to expose .gitignore matching. Luckily no one
   except submodule seems to use it.

 - I chose to use tree_entry_interesting() instead of
   match_pathspec(). The former has more optimizations but requires a
   tree-based structure. So I have to read the whole directory in,
   re-construct a temporary tree object to make t_e_i() happy. I
   _think_ it does not impact performance with reasonable dir size.

 - there'll be more work to get rid of match_pathspec() calls after
   read_directory()/fill_directory(). I haven't got finished this part
   yet.

 - I really like to kill match_pathspec() so we only have one pathspec
   implementation instead of two now, but that may be real hard
   because of staged entries in index.

(*) t7012.7 fails but I think that's the test's fault.

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy (11):
  Introduce "check-attr --excluded" as a replacement for "add --ignore-missing"
  notes-merge: use opendir/readdir instead of using read_directory()
  t5403: avoid doing "git add foo/bar" where foo/.git exists
  tree-walk.c: do not leak internal structure in tree_entry_len()
  symbolize return values of tree_entry_interesting()
  read_directory_recursive: reduce one indentation level
  tree_entry_interesting: make use of local pointer "item"
  tree-walk: mark useful pathspecs
  tree_entry_interesting: differentiate partial vs full match
  read-dir: stop using path_simplify code in favor of tree_entry_interesting()
  dir.c: remove dead code after read_directory() rewrite

 Documentation/git-check-attr.txt |    4 +
 builtin/add.c                    |   36 ++--
 builtin/check-attr.c             |   26 +++
 builtin/grep.c                   |   11 +-
 builtin/pack-objects.c           |    2 +-
 cache.h                          |    1 +
 dir.c                            |  428 +++++++++++++++++++-------------------
 dir.h                            |    8 +-
 git-submodule.sh                 |    2 +-
 list-objects.c                   |    9 +-
 notes-merge.c                    |   45 +++--
 t/t3700-add.sh                   |   19 --
 t/t5403-post-checkout-hook.sh    |   17 +-
 tree-diff.c                      |   19 +-
 tree-walk.c                      |   85 ++++----
 tree-walk.h                      |   19 ++-
 tree.c                           |   11 +-
 unpack-trees.c                   |    6 +-
 18 files changed, 394 insertions(+), 354 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.3.1.256.g2539c.dirty