Subject: [PATCH v3 0/3] nd/index-pack-no-recurse

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 19:19:52 +0700

This round adds more explanation in commit message of 2/3 and comment
before get_base_data() in 3/3. Changes in 3/3 does not really address
Junio's concern regarding maintainability though.

It also fixes a regression in 3/3. In current code, get_base_data()
goes up as far as the first deflated parent. v2 of this series always
goes up to top parent. v3 fixes this.

Junio raised a point about depth-first vs breadth-first search in 1/3. I
have not addressed that either, but it makes me wonder if we may
benefit from using bfs in find_unresolved_deltas(), 2/3. If the delta
chains form a fork-like figure (e.g. long delta chains sharing common
base), then we may run out of cache doing dfs on one chain, by the
time we get back on the common base, we would need to deflate them
again.

Another observation is recursion in get_base_data() is unlikely to be
called in real life. With 16M default delta base cache, git.git does
not trigger it at all. Perhaps repos with large blobs have better chance..

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy (3):
  Eliminate recursion in setting/clearing marks in commit list
  index-pack: eliminate recursion in find_unresolved_deltas
  index-pack: eliminate unlimited recursion in get_base_data()

 builtin/index-pack.c |  164 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------------
 commit.c             |   13 ++++-
 revision.c           |   45 +++++++++-----
 3 files changed, 154 insertions(+), 68 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.8.36.g69ee2