Subject: [PATCH 0/5] Dynamic diff summary for merge/pull

From: Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:47:56 +0700

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 2:49 AM, Linus Torvalds
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> And what I've *really* wanted is to actually see the diff itself if
> it
> is small. So some kind of "dynamic summary": for one-liners (or
> ten-liners), show the whole diff. For medium-sized changes, show the
> whole diffstat. And for really big changes, show an outline and the
> "768 files changed, 179851 lines added, 7630 lines removed" stats.
>
> IOW, whatever fits in, say, 50 lines or less.

Here's an attempt to do that. The main patch is 4/5 to implement
--dynstat. 5/5 just makes merge/pull pass --dynstat to diff machinery.

--dynstat tries various diff output and use one that fits within 50
lines:

 --patch + --shortstat
 --stat (maybe plus --summary)
 --dirstat + --shortstat
 --shortstat

Many hardcoded constants should be more flexible (i.e. 50 lines limit
could be retrieved from terminal settigns), but that's minor for
now imo. I think we should also hint users to do
"git diff --stat --summary HEAD@{1} HEAD" too via advice framework if
we turn --dynstat to default for merge/pull

I have not run "make test" so it may break a few tests because of 2/2.

Nguyễn Thái Ngọc Duy (5):
  diff: add space around "="
  diff: do not duplicate shortstat with "git diff --stat --shortstat"
  diff: buffer dirstat output
  diff: add --dynstat
  merge: support setting merge.[diff]stat to dynstat

 builtin/merge.c |   30 +++++++++++--
 diff.c          |  127 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++--------
 diff.h          |    1 +
 3 files changed, 135 insertions(+), 23 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.3.1.256.g2539c.dirty