Subject: Re: Alternates corruption issue

From: Richard Purdie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 14:40:19 +0000

On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 16:59 -0500, Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 04:22:58PM -0600, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> 
> > Anyway, thanks for explaining.  Hopefully I can get to this soon and
> > factor out a common function for get_repo_path and enter_repo to call
> > so playing with the ordering becomes a little less scary. ;-)
> 
> So here's what I think we should apply to fix the particular issue that
> Richard mentioned at the start of this thread.
> 
> Besides tweaking the ordering, the main contribution is a set of tests
> that actually check some of these ambiguous cases (especially checking
> the fact that both code paths behave identically!). I didn't factor the
> logic into a common function, but doing so should be a little safer on
> top of these tests, if you're still interested.

I didn't have much to add to the discussion yesterday but this solution
looks good to me and should resolve the problems I was seeing.

Thanks!

Richard