Subject: [PATCH 0/3] "git name-rev --weight"

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 14:17:21 -0700

So here is an attempt to teach "name-rev" a mode that tries to base
its name on oldest tag that can reach the commit.  It needs the
reset_revision_walk() call recently added to the revision traversal
API, and applies to bcc0a3e (v1.7.11-rc0~111^2~2) or newer.

Note that this can benefit from caching, as the "weight" of the tag
(rather, the commit that is tagged) will never change once a history
is made, but that part is left as an exercise to the reader.

It correctly names 0136db586c in the kernel history as based on
v3.5-rc1 as tags/v3.5-rc1~83^2~81^2~76, not on v3.6-rc1, as we saw
on the list recently.

Once it is verified to operate correctly and updated to perform
properly, we can start passing --weight when "describe --contains"
runs the command.

Junio C Hamano (3):
  name-rev: lose unnecessary typedef
  name_rev: clarify when a new tip-name is assigned to a commit
  name-rev: --weight option (WIP)

 builtin/name-rev.c | 142 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
 1 file changed, 120 insertions(+), 22 deletions(-)

-- 
1.7.12.285.ga3d5fc0