Subject: [PATCH 0/6] Bring "format-patch --notes" closer to a real feature

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 22:45:22 -0700

This replaces the earlier "wip" with a real thing.

We never advertised the "--notes" option to format-patch (or
anything related to the pretty format options for that matter)
because the behaviour of these options was whatever they happened to
do, not what they were designed to do.

It had a few obvious glitches:

 * The notes section was appended immediately after the log message,
   and then the three-dash line was added.  Such a supplimental
   material should come after the three-dash line.

 * The logic to append a new sign-off with "format-patch --signoff"
   worked on the message after the note was added, which made the
   detection of existing sign-off lines incorrect.

This updates the handling of "--notes" option to correct these, in
an attempt to bring it closer to a real feature.

Junio C Hamano (6):
  pretty: remove reencode_commit_message()
  format_note(): simplify API
  pretty: prepare notes message at a centralized place
  pretty_print_commit(): do not append notes message
  format-patch: append --signature after notes
  format-patch --notes: show notes after three-dashes

 builtin/blame.c         |  5 +++--
 commit.h                |  4 +---
 log-tree.c              | 32 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++----
 notes.c                 | 13 +++++++------
 notes.h                 |  6 +-----
 pretty.c                | 22 ++++------------------
 revision.c              |  2 +-
 revision.h              |  1 +
 t/t4014-format-patch.sh | 15 +++++++++++++--
 9 files changed, 59 insertions(+), 41 deletions(-)

-- 
1.8.0.rc3.112.gdb88a5e