Subject: Re: orphan blob or what?

From: Tomas Carnecky <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 21:41:15 +0000

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 11:37:04 -0800, bruce <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Tomas Carnecky <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> Just idiocy on my part. Thanks.
> 
> > On Thu, 08 Nov 2012 16:24:36 -0800, bruce <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >> In today's and older clones of https://github.com/mirrors/linux.git I
> >> find this object, 6fa98ea0ae40f9a38256f11e5dc270363f785aee, that I can't
> >> figure out how to eliminate^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^hget rid of. I don't see it
> >> in 'git fsck', 'git gc --aggressive --prune' doesn't seem to prune it,
> >> can't see it via 'git log'. And yet
> >> 
> >> linux/.git/objects/pack$ git verify-pack -v *.idx | grep 6fa98ea0ae40f9a38256f11e5dc270363f785aee
> >> 6fa98ea0ae40f9a38256f11e5dc270363f785aee blob   1519697 124840 515299673
> >> 8231eaa31ce1107c1463deb6ec33f61618aedbb9 blob   67 63 515424513 1 6fa98ea0ae40f9a38256f11e5dc270363f785aee
> >> f21a8c1b9d47736fa4e27def66f04b9fe2b4bc53 blob   90 83 515424576 1 6fa98ea0ae40f9a38256f11e5dc270363f785aee
> >
> > Commit dee0bb9 (ASoC: Mark WM8962 Additional Control 4 register as volatile,
> > 2010-09-29) references this blob.

It wasn't easy to find the commit. First I figured out at which path that file
was stored. Using git log -S'wm8962_reg[WM8962_MAX_REGISTER + 1]' I quickly
determined that the file was somewhere in sound/, more specifically
sound/soc/codecs/wm8962-tables.c. However a 'git log --
sound/soc/codecs/wm8962-tables.c' did not show any commit. That was strange,
because 'git log -S'WM8962_MAX_REGISTER + 1' --name-status --
sound/soc/codecs/' clearly shows that the file existed at some point in the
past. The commit is hidden from a simple 'git log' due to 'History
Simplification'. See the git-log man page. I added --full-history -p to the log
command, and searched in the pager for '6fa98e'. That revealed the commit which
references that blob:

    git log --full-history -p -- sound/soc/codecs/wm8962-tables.c