Subject: [PATCH 4/4] remote.c: introduce branch.<name>.pushremote

From: Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 18:46:15 +0530

This new configuration variable overrides `remote.pushdefault` and
`branch.<name>.remote` for pushes.  In a typical triangular-workflow
setup, you would want to set `remote.pushdefault` to specify the
remote to push to for all branches, and use this option to override it
for a specific branch.

Signed-off-by: Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/config.txt | 18 ++++++++++++++----
 remote.c                 |  3 +++
 2 files changed, 17 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/config.txt b/Documentation/config.txt
index 8ddd0fd..d0e36e9 100644
--- a/Documentation/config.txt
+++ b/Documentation/config.txt
@@ -726,9 +726,18 @@ branch.<name>.remote::
 	When on branch <name>, it tells 'git fetch' and 'git push'
 	which remote to fetch from/push to.  The remote to push to
 	may be overriden with `remote.pushdefault` (for all branches).
-	If no remote is configured, or if you are not on any branch,
-	it defaults to `origin` for fetching and `remote.pushdefault`
-	for pushing.
+	The remote to push to, for the current branch, may be further
+	overriden by `branch.<name>.pushremote`.  If no remote is
+	configured, or if you are not on any branch, it defaults to
+	`origin` for fetching and `remote.pushdefault` for pushing.
+
+branch.<name>.pushremote::
+	When on branch <name>, it overrides `branch.<name>.remote`
+	when pushing.  It also overrides `remote.pushdefault` when
+	pushing from branch <name>.  In a typical triangular-workflow
+	setup, you would want to set `remote.pushdefault` to specify
+	the remote to push to for all branches, and use this option to
+	override it for a specific branch.
 
 branch.<name>.merge::
 	Defines, together with branch.<name>.remote, the upstream branch
@@ -1899,7 +1908,8 @@ receive.updateserverinfo::
 
 remote.pushdefault::
 	The remote to push to by default.  Overrides
-	`branch.<name>.remote` for all branches.
+	`branch.<name>.remote` for all branches, and is overriden by
+	`branch.<name>.pushremote` for specific branches.
 
 remote.<name>.url::
 	The URL of a remote repository.  See linkgit:git-fetch[1] or
diff --git a/remote.c b/remote.c
index 987edc4..a4d3d22 100644
--- a/remote.c
+++ b/remote.c
@@ -366,6 +366,9 @@ static int handle_config(const char *key, const char *value, void *cb)
 				default_remote_name = branch->remote_name;
 				explicit_default_remote_name = 1;
 			}
+		} else if (!strcmp(subkey, ".pushremote")) {
+			if (branch == current_branch)
+				git_config_string(&pushremote_name, key, value);
 		} else if (!strcmp(subkey, ".merge")) {
 			if (!value)
 				return config_error_nonbool(key);
-- 
1.8.2